As we approach the end of 2019, you need to begin a careful assessment of how you faired financially and otherwise during the year. This is to enable you to know the areas in which you need to make some changes that would help you to have a better new year, 2020. Most times, you just need to make little adjustment to see substantial changes in life.
I have spent the past several weeks, brainstorming and researching about how to get better financially and how to also help thousands of my readers world wide to also achieve same results in 2020. The result of this effort spanning a couple of weeks is what I want to share with you now.
Here are 11 things you need to do differently in 2020 to become the financially successful person that you have always desired to be:
1. Get additional sources of income: If you have only one source of income, then you are taking a very big risk. No matter how anyone shy away from this truth, it still doesn’t change its validity. This applies to everybody, no matter how great you currently earn. What if you lose your current income source? You may hope in your emergency funds. However, what if your emergency funds get exhausted without getting another income source? These are questions that should propel you to start looking for a secondary and even tertiary income sources. You need to spread your financial risk by putting your eggs in a number of baskets – not just one.
2. Change your spending pattern: Cut down expenses. Wasteful spending has always been attributed to be the major cause of financial backwardness. If you must make meaningful financial progress in 2020, you need to identify financial loop holes in your spending patterns and block them. You need to carry out a personal spending audit in order to trace the leaks in your finances and stitch those leakages.
3. Learn a new skill: I always stress the need for skill acquisition. Skill acquisition is very important, because it increases your value. If you can do something which is valuable and which many people cannot do easily, then you can name your price and people will be willing to pay you for such services. If you have a physical shop, the shop could get burnt up by fire and or thrives could steal your goods, but if you have a very useful skill, you will always make money from it.
4. Network more and build more useful relationships: From personal experience, after GOD, your greatest source of progress in life is PEOPLE. Whatever you are today and whatever you will be tomorrow is linked to relationship and people. “No man is an island”, said John Donne and this is very true. You need others to succeed in life and to get better financially.
5. Develop a more positive attitude about life: Over and over again, philosophy and even religion have proven it beyond reasonable doubt that success is more likely to occur, even in the midst of seemingly difficult situations when there is a positive mental attitude and belief.
If you expect the best, you are very much likely to get the best out of life. If you are afraid and pessimistic about life, you are likely to see your fears come into reality.
6. Work hard: There is no substitute to hardwork. In the coming year, be ready to work, work and work. If you are a youth, this is even more applicable to you. Now is the time to work hard. You need to work as hard as possible now as a youth, so that you wouldn’t need to work hard in your old age.
7. Work smart: Sometime people work really really hard but with very little results to show for their efforts. The reason for this is because they don’t work smart. Smart-working is better than hard-working! Wisdom is the acceleration of hardwork!
What am I saying? In 2019, learn to use people to achieve your objectives. One good way of working smart is by leveraging other people’s ability and skills.
8. Set SMART financial goals and review them quarterly: If you don’t know where you are going, you will get to no where. Wishful thinking can’t make you any better financially because, if wishes were horses, beggers would ride. A goal must be write down, else it is a mere wishful thinking.
9. Be on the look out for ways you can create value: Real wealth comes to those who create value. Most times the amount of wealth you can amass is proportional to the amount of people whose problems you solve. BILL GATE is as wealthy as he is today because he is solving a global problem and providing global products. Same with Larry Page and Sergey Brian and Mark Zuckerberg.
10. Be more generous to people: Banish selfishness. Wealth comes to those who are generous. If your intention of becoming wealthy is to show off, impress people or to oppress the poor, then you may never become wealthy!
Don’t wait until you get so much money before you begin to give out to others and to charitable causes. In 2020, allocate a percentage of your monthly budget to the needy. Start with what you have.
11. Deliberately increase your financial knowledge: Knowledge is power. You can hardly get ahead above what you know. You need to access the right information to get ahead financially in the coming year. Read good books and listen to the right people for direction.You also need to visit good blogs like this one often for useful information that will help you realise your financial goals and aspirations.
Have a successful 2020!